Thursday, May 29, 2008

Au Revoir, Mes Amis!

Friends and Family,

Welcome to my blog!

As you know, I have been working towards my Peace Corps placement for over a year now. In the past year I have gotten a lot of questions from all of you. A lot of the discussions went like this:

Friend: Peace Corps! That's cool. Will you live in a city?
Me: I won't really know until I get there and get my placement. It's likely that I'll be living in some sort of simple hut.

Friend: ...Will you have electricity or running water?
Me: I won't really know until I get there, but...probably not...

Friend: What will you eat?
Me: Mostly vegetables...
Friend: That's cool.
Me: ...That I grow myself...
Friend: ...Oh...

Friend: So...exactly how crazy are you???

There was a time when I may have defended myself, however, as I start packing my mosquito encased hammock (which I will be sleeping in), my SPF 75 sunblock and my field guides to poisonous snakes, I'm wondering if I didn't give you guys enough credit.

Another popular question (which I am also unable to answer) is how much I will be able to stay in touch with everyone. I should have email access, however, I'm not sure how often that will be. I also have an address that you can send mail to.

Here is the address, should you be in the neighborhood (visitors are encouraged!):

Emily Lagasse, PCV
Corps de la Paix
B.P. 3194
Lomé, Togo
West Africa

I will post to this blog as often as I can (which will probably not be that often) to update you on my life in Togo. I will send everyone an email letting you know when I have posted something new.

I hope we are able to keep in touch over the next two years although I know it will be more difficult than usual. I wish I could be with you for all of the weddings, new jobs and exciting changes everyone is going through. Although I may not be able to call or write often please know that I will be thinking of you. Of course, when I get back, I look forward to catching up with you on all of your adventures (preferably with a glass of ice water in an air conditioned building).

Until my next post... A Bientot!

Emily

PS: If you do decide to visit, let me know far enough in advance so that I can grow enough food for both of us!

7 comments:

pangonis said...

Good Luck, Emily! Have a safe trip to your new home...for the next two years of your life :-) This will be such an amazing adventure for you. I can't wait to hear stories and see pictures.

Please know you will be missed on football Saturdays. Rest assured, yours truly will definitely provide updates on our favorite college football team (Go Bucks!).

Take care, my friend! Doors are closing.

Anonymous said...

Grow your own food?!! Hopefully you had a lot of practice helping your parents with the gardening.

This truly sounds like a great adventure. We both wish you well and cannot wait to hear all about your experiences.

Have fun,
Kathy & John Doucette

Anonymous said...

Dora, a-hem, I mean Emily, I can't wait to hear about the adventure. I wish you well and I am absolutely positive that you will receive all you set out to get on this trip! Bonne route!!

Anonymous said...

I miss you already Ems. Best wishes and keep posting!

If I visit make sure you have supplies for Enchiladidalos and a portable DVD player for watching ET.

Nathan

Karen Herman said...

Emily - Everyone in the family is so proud of you! We send our fondest wishes and pray that those latrine critters will show some respect. Zut alors! Joanna and Brooks are expecting a baby GIRL come the end of October - so we're excited about that. Joly and Martin are still waiting for the serious - let's sit down and talk candidate, although there have been a few inquiries. Stay in touch when you can - we love you! Karen and the Herman clan

Unknown said...

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I miss you...

Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
This is a long way from your days in Chicago!!! Mike and Karen were recently visiting the GSB (now called Chicago Booth) and told me that you were in Togo. They shared your blog and I am truly amazed at how you are surviving with no sleep and too many snakes and cockroaches!
Good luck with your work and I am sure you are helping so many while you learn so much as well. We have students who want to help entrepreneurial ventures in emerging coountries with virtual free consulting. Let me know if anything looks interesting.
All my best,
Linda Darragh